Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The pretzel bite war {Gluten free baking}

Can we just talk for a second?
Thanks.
I'd love to talk about how sometimes, cooking GF can feel a little bit...well, tough.
Not usually.  Usually it feels normal at our house, and we don't think about it much anymore.  But sometimes.....well, sometimes, you see an amazing recipe for soft pretzel bites and think, 'that's the perfect recipe to do with the kids one day while we're home and looking for something to do!'  This would be quickly followed by 'I'm sure I can make that gluten free'.
Those, my friends, are the famous last words.
These word are once again quickly followed by 2 days in the kitchen.  The first attempt was not a complete fail, judging by how many my children ate.  But they really didn't rise much, and I couldn't get over that perfect picture on the first recipe (by the way, if you're looking for perfect pictures.....you at the WRONG place.  I normally snap photos on my phone in the 2 seconds between children screaming for dinner and totally forgetting to snap photos....that's just where I live, ya'll.)
So the next day, I tried again.  I had done a little research and tweaked a few things about my recipe.
Still yummy.  Still didn't rise well.
Now this meant war.  Not because I just had to have pretzels now.  No, this went way deeper.  NOW this was about our ability to ever be able to enjoy our favorite yeast-y recipes as a family again!  I've dabbled with a few other yeast recipes with decent success (pizza being one of them), but I just don't usually go for things with a full rise cycle.  It's not my speed.  But now?  Oh, it's on.
War, I tell you.  (Also I warned you that I'm not a professional.  I'm just demonstrating that for you in this post.  You're welcome).
I tried again during naptime, and tweaked a few more things.....better, but still NOT totally risen.
Lucky for me, this recipe was super easy and relatively quick, or else I'd be toast.
I now have my FOURTH batch of GF and yummy soft pretzel bites in to rise.  I'm not giving up, ya'll.  I'm going to GET this.
And then I'll come share it with all of you, because that's just the kind of gal I am.
I will soldier on!

(to be continued..........)


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive thoughts, ideas, or comments welcome!